Many people from the past have played important roles in their communities.
Find significant people from the past
Community members of historical significance who made a difference might include:
- early settlers
- gold miners
- sports people
- emergency services personnel
- artists and musicians
- scientists and inventors.
Compose some research questions
Start by composing some research questions, such as:
- What is the person's name?
- What is the person's date of birth?
- Where was the person born?
- Where did they grow up?
- What was their job?
- How did they help the community?
Search for information about your person
With your group find answers to the questions you composed. To do this you could:
- conduct an internet search
- speak to senior members of the community
- visit a local museum
- search old newspapers and magazines
- study old photographs and/or letters
- talk to your parents or grandparents
- look at books.
Organise the information your group collected
As a group decide on a way to present your research using text, photographs, drawings and/or audio recordings.
Share the group's work with the class.