Banknotes are a popular collectable and offer an interesting perspective on Australia's culture, history and values.
Many collectors aim to build a collection of banknotes based on serial numbers or signature combinations. Recent Australian banknotes include the year of manufacture in the banknote's serial number, enabling collectors to acquire banknotes based on the year they are produced.
The following information is provided for those interested in collecting Australian banknotes.
Numismatic Banknote Arrangements
To coincide with the issuance of the next generation of Australian banknotes, the Reserve Bank will offer two commemorative products to the public:
- a ‘Next Generation of $5’ commemorative folder containing one new $5 banknote at a recommended retail price (RRP) of $10.95; and
- a ‘Two Generations of $5’ commemorative folder containing one first polymer $5 banknote and one new $5 banknote at a recommended retail price (RRP) of $19.50.
Both folders contain standard uncirculated banknotes only.
The commemorative products are available to purchase at the following retailers:
- Australia Post (free call 1800 331 794)
- Coins Australia (02 9221 4478)
- Comm Coinage (0478 754 071)
- Cotton & Co (07 36301903)
- Downies (1300 788 358)
- Online Coins (02 6621 3122)
- Prospect Stamps and Coins (02 9622 1399)
The Reserve Bank redeems all previous issues of genuine Australian banknotes at face value. Most commercial banks will also redeem old Australian banknotes at face value, although they are not obliged to do so. There could, however, be some reluctance if bank tellers are unfamiliar with the designs and security features of the old banknotes.
Some old banknotes may be valuable as collector items. The Reserve Bank does not provide opinions concerning the market value of old, rare or misprinted banknotes. Old banknotes may be appraised by a reputable banknote and coin dealer. The Reserve Bank does not endorse any particular organisation, but a number of Australian banknote and coin dealers are members of the Australasian Numismatic Dealers Association Inc.