‘Learning About Banknotes’ is an online primary school education resource developed by the Reserve Bank of Australia in collaboration with the NSW Department of Education and Communities (DEC). It is aimed at educating Years 2 and 3 school students about Australia's banknotes through interactive games, activities and stories.
This resource has been designed to provide engaging and interactive information about banknotes through History and Mathematics activities, which are aligned to the Australian curriculum. It contains:
- links to the learning areas, general capabilities and cross-curriculum priorities of the Australian Curriculum
- interactive and SMART Notebook activities, stories and games
- Years 2 and 3 History resources, including a ‘Noteworthy people’ digital book
- Year 2 Mathematics resources
- comprehensive teaching notes for teachers
Additional education materials, including a banknote activity sheet and ‘Security Features’ Chatterbox game, are available for download in the games section of this website.
The Reserve Bank also has a Currency Museum that can be a fun and engaging excursion for students. More information is available on the Presentations to Students and Teachers page on the Reserve Bank's website.